You are having trouble downloading and viewing system reports on your Windows computer. The download file looks like computer code.
When you choose to download a system report in the Excel format, the format is actually in an XML (eXtensible Markup Language) format that Microsoft Excel knows how to convert on the fly to display as a spreadsheet. Windows will typically open the XML file in a web browser, and the results are far from desirable.
Typically this is either a file association issue, or you don't have Microsoft Excel installed on your computer.
If you do have Excel installed, follow these steps to associate XML files with Excel.
Windows 8 and older
- Right click on the file in Windows Explorer
- Choose “Open with…”
- Select Excel from the list or browse for Excel.
- Optionally, select the box to “Always use this application to open XML files”
- Type Default apps in the search bar.
- Open Default apps settings
- Scroll to the bottom of the Default apps and click the "Choose default apps by file type" link.
- Scroll down the list and find the .xml extension and select Excel or browse for Excel as the Default app.
If you are a Mac user and are having problems, please see this Help FAQ.