You would like to give access to your Pro Store to another person and would like to know more about what a user is and how to add them.
Before you add a new user to your website, it is important to understand the various roles available on your site. WordPress comes with a user role management system that defines what a specific user can and cannot do. Knowing these user roles and permissions is essential to maintaining the security and integrity of your website.
- Store Manager - These are the top-level administrators of your website and eCommerce store.
- Editor - An editor can view, edit, publish, and delete any posts/pages, moderate comments, manage categories, manage tags, manage links and upload files/images.
- Author - An author can edit, publish and delete their posts, as well as upload files/images.
- Contributor - A contributor can edit their posts but cannot publish them. When a contributor creates a post, it will need to be submitted to an administrator for review. Once a contributor’s post is approved by an administrator and published, however, it may no longer be edited by the contributor. A contributor does not have the ability to upload files/images.
- Subscriber - In your comment settings, if you’ve selected “Users must be registered and logged in to comment”, once they have created an account, they will be given a subscriber role. Subscribers only have the ability to leave comments.
Adding a User
If you’re a site administrator and you’d like to make someone a Store Manager, Contributor, Author, or Editor on your site, do the following...
- In the menu on the left, hover over "Users" then click "Add New" or click on Users, then click the "Add New" button.
- Add a Username and Email address.
- Select the Role you wish to give them using the drop-down.
- If you wish to notify the user that they have been added, leave Skip Confirmation Email unchecked.
Your new user will receive an email with instructions on how to log in. Once logged in they can set their password and any other info (except their username) by editing their profile.